Making time for exercise as a caregiver can be a challenge. Walk with me as I share some of my reasons, musical inspiration and some support for walking.
My reason to walk
- My dogs insist. They don’t care about the weather. The exercise and stimulation are what they crave).
- I find time in nature stimulation. True, I’m not a big fan of freezing temps, driving rain/snow, or some of the high winds that blow in the plains. But, walking allows me to observe the wonders of nature.
- Other than good shoes, special equipment isn’t (generally) needed. That means if we are traveling or are receiving medical care, I don’t need to pack a bunch of stuff.
- I can do it alone or with others. It can suit my need and my situation.
- While walking I have time to think, to repeat mantras, to allow thoughts to flow through without needing to be attached to them.
- Supporting a healthy life is needed especially when you care for others. This is a weight bearing exercise that allows me to raise my heart rate.
There are many other reasons I walk. Please share yours in the comments below.
Inspiration to walk
My mind thinks in songs. Here is a starter list of songs that speak to walking and inspire me to do so. Use them as inspiration for your own list.
Support to walk
Sometimes a little discomfort creeps into life. Check out a few items that support me walking.
In this live I shared what I use to prepare me to walk along with some post walk ideas to stay healthy.
While you are at it, love a little on some feet. Back in 2011, I read a post on Moving Smart. It included instructions for the foot massage including a poem to share while giving a foot massage. I set the poem by Gill McConnell to a simple tune you can share with a child or someone else in your care. May you this song and a massage be a bright spot in your day.